11/10/2014

Music Mondays

My husband had his albums ten year anniversary last friday and he had two gigs on the same night dedicated to it. After his incredible and raw performance we just danced the night away to ridiculously good music and I have to say; my soul was filled to overflowing. It was a perfect night in every way.

One of the consequences of loving yourself is that you begin to love others around you as well. The best part of it is that you don't even have to force it, because most of the time it just spills from the overflow. When I used to dislike myself, it was a struggle to even keep my love on for the people closest to me. I was so concerned about my own needs and sad and empty heart, that giving from it seemed more like an impossibility. Yes, the old saying couldn't be more true: You can't love anyone unless you love yourself. How could you accept someone else's flaws if you don't even accept your own? 
I used to feel a lot of shame about my past and identified myself with it. I thought there was something wrong with me, that I couldn't be worthy of love. It was evident in the ways I judged others. A loved and confident person has no need to dig for the dirt in people, quite the opposite. It will look for the gold, always hope for the best and keep no record of wrongs. I realise that those are heavy words, but the deeper I've fallen into Love, the more sense they make. When I learned to love myself I became a better friend, daughter, sister and wife. Self-love was never meant to be selfish, but the base for a healthy heart that can give from its abundance. Learning to love yourself will free you to not just be yourself, but be the best version of yourself for everyone around you as well. Isn't that a good reason to start working on some self-love?

One of my favourite songs the DJ played on friday night was this gem. I hadn't heard it in ages and the moment those guitar riffs filled the room, I felt it in my bones. Maybe it's the rawness of Wycleff's and Mary's vocals, the fullness of the beat or the heart wrenching lyrics, but it seems to summarise the essence of unrefined love. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.



xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment